Thursday, February 12, 2009

AUGUST 2, 2007 - IT WAS A BLUE MONDAY

559 days ago

Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni died - two masters who stepped away from the world's stage.

I used to admire Antonioni about 15 years ago, the existential anxious moods of his über bourgeois heroines, the people trying to escape in Zabriskie Point and Blow-up. I have to see again his capolavori L'Avventura, La Notte, L'Eclisse, Il Deserto Rosso...

With Ingmar Bergman it was constant admiration, it never dropped. "The Seventh Seal" is one of my all times favourite, next to Fellini's "Satyricon". Maybe I just like dark fairy tales.

I saw his last film, "Saraband", in 2005 - another masterpiece, so simple and powerful, also due to the extreme expressiveness of Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson, two veterans. I thought then, with great sadness, that it is probably the last time his name appears on a new release. Last year, in spring, I saw a documentary trilogy about him - very impressive. Not an easy man to leave with, who chose to be alone on a windswept island in Sweden at the end of his life, still facing his demons, he was saying.

Adieu, Maestros!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog