Tuesday, January 26, 2010

E la nave va


So I want to leave Canada and go live in an European city of my choice this time, close to the sea, not too far down South or up North. Oh yes, the crisis is still ravaging the business and consequently the job market. By the way, I'm also 35, a little past the age of looking for my own true self around the world and back.

Oh, no! What a crazy idea living this cozy comfy existence of mine, my boyfriend (who can follow me if he chooses to do so), a nice apartment (that I rent anyway), my cat (that I can take with me), this secure and safe job that bores me to death, the many friends of many cultures that I've known for only five years maximum and have to deal with their own lives anyway, like anyone else on this planet. Five years were not enough to grow roots here, and a passport doesn't buy any feelings of belonging or being home. Of course I will miss some people, but being here I miss my friends back home and in other countries. The balance is never even.

Yes, it is a risk, but it occurred to me last night that this is not a one time decision. A while ago I decided once and for all to take risks, to swim against the current, to draw my own path, regardless of what did Mr. X and Mrs. Y. I took a risk when I went to Lisbon in 1997, fresh from university, to work in a Duty Free Shop. Then to Turkey as a waitress on the very pretty island of Büyük Ada, across from the fascinating city of Istanbul. About two months later I was in Athens for the whole of November and I managed to see the Minoic Knossos palace, an old dream of mine. In 2001 I left a career that just started to blossom and I stepped up on a cruiseship and became a qualified seaman aka foreign languages sherpa at sea and on the Caribbean islands.

Canada followed in 2004. I have never been here before, but it was one of the few countries that received immigrants based solely on your request and background. It didn't work out, I'm not fit for North America which is not fit for me. And it doesn't mean Montréal is not nice or Canada is not a beautiful country. It is a marriage that was simply mismatched, also because it was a long distance decision. So I want to try to settle in an European city that this time is not the first opportunity that arrised, but a conscious choice, why should that be bad? How many Romanians left Canada to go to Barcelona? Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar says one of my favorite poems. Maybe it is not the way, but it is MY way and I have to try it, no matter what. As long as there's no matter of life an death, what's the matter?

3 comments:

  1. Invidiez orasul care o sa te aiba, fiinta magica si minunata! Sper sa fie Barcelona, pentru ca visez de mult sa merg pe-acolo, si ar fi grozav sa te revad (Asta daca nu ajungi tu prin Philly inainte sa pleci, de data asta cand sunt si eu aici, sau daca nu ajung eu prin Montreal candva).

    ReplyDelete
  2. claro que sí. puedes ir donde quieras!!! eres una persona que puede salir adelante en cualquier país. no sé, yo estoy segura de eso

    españa, claro!!! por mí!!! jejeje

    besos, anto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oaw !! Scurt si la obiect si ... pline de incarcatura sunt cuvintele ce-ti descriu quintesential periplul unui deceniu si ...
    Damn girl, you are a rolling stone !
    I wish you all the best !

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog