Thursday, February 12, 2009

MARCH 1, 2008 - SPRING COMES TO EUROPE, IN THE SOUTH THE AUTUMNS CALLS ITS RIGHTS

348 days ago

I spent about two weeks with my wonderful mother downhere, starting in Buenos Aires, moving throughout the Uruguayan seaside and Montevideo, where she got to know the Carnival, here, there and elsewhere you have some samples.

We had a great time everywhere, in Buenos Aires we went to the Zoo and the National Art Museum. I think I prefer the rundown bohemian San Telmo to the fancier neighbourhoods of Recoleta and Palermo. In the night we went to a couple of milongas: "Torquato Tasso" in San Telmo and "Canning" in Palermo. I also danced in Plaza Dorrego on Sunday, even salsa There were so many people everywhere that there was little place to dance the fancy way and I had a feeling the Argentinians prefer to keep it simple and tight, as tight as possible

At the seaside, we went to Cabo Polonio, La Pedrera, Punta del Este, Punta Ballena (check this amazing local artist ) and Piriapolis. We enjoyed the fine sand beaches, the cool and sometimes dangerous ocean waters, the delicious fish and wine. Not to mention desserts! People here are great company, kind and helpful.

In Montevideo we went to a couple of small art museums and wandered around, two nights at Teatro de Verano enjoying Carnival, especially my beloved murga. My mom made friends with my friends Cristina and Rosana and the very special Sofia, a Romanian who's 83 years old and lives here since she was 25.

Now is time for me to go back to work, start studying hard before the countdown starts, I'm in the middle of my time here. Long live the murga, anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog