Thursday, February 12, 2009

JULY 17 - BEIRUT, WHAT'S NEXT?

940 days ago

Friday I called my Lebanese friend Gazou (Ghazwa), to ask how she's doing and she told me her country is being destroyed. I was in deep shock, as I'm not watching TV or reading newspapers lately. She told me the whole story, besides her parents are there on holiday.

I cannot believe what is happening. I'm against any form of terrorism, but to punish innocent people for the Hezbollah and destroy the airport and the roads - this is so unfair and absurd. What is happening is not sad, is disgusting.

We live in the 21st century and by all means we can call it bloody 21st century.

I just finished "Samarkand", by Amin Maalouf, a great Lebanese writer. The book traces the story of Omar Khayyam and his manuscript (around year 1000 on the territory that's now Iran and Uzbekistan, formerly part of the Seljuk Empire). It looks to me like the world didn't change much since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog