Thursday, February 12, 2009

DECEMBER 22ND, 07 - COUNTDOWN BEFORE FLYING TO URUGUAY

418 days ago

Oh, my! This is so close I didn't even see it coming, busy with finishing the semester, with work and scarce social life. I'm not ready to plunge yet, I don't know where I'm going, not sure I know what I'm doing, can I get some more time, somehow? Alas, nowadays it's so complicated to change by even one day! Besides, Carnival in Montevideo starts on January 24, so I do have to be there in time. In time also to enjoy the beach for a short while. Punta del Diablo maybe, that I saw in the same name movie and was charmed by it.

Speaking of movies, I saw the last Coen brothers last night - "No Country for Old Men" - really good, the same sharp irony and cold blood gore that characterizes them. An endless "blood calls blood" story, a world that lost its signage and wanders. And my beloved Javier Bardem in marble cold psycho killer part. Tommy Lee Jones with his rough human warmth he displayed so masterfully in "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada". The last impression I got from the movie was that when you stop believing in old fashioned values that's nothing left to believe in.

Getting ready for Christmas: bought my gift, some of the food, little more decoration. For me Christmas is about spreading joy around us, keeping people together, making our dear ones feel loved. So I'm employing myself for this purpose: please people. Cook for them, build a nice ambiance and keep them smiling. What could be better in life.

My lovely friend Andreea gets married on the 27th (will I, ever?), I was her testimony Wednesday at the Romanian Consulate - very nice and cozy.

The bottom line is I can't wait to go to Uruguay and I'm so frightened at the same time. Nothing ever goes exactly the way we expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog